Recipe adapted from Christine's recipes
250ml (1 cup) milk
250g cream cheese, cubed, softened at room temperature
60g butter, softened at room temperature
6 egg yolks
55g plain flour
20g corn flour
1 lemon zest
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
130g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 150oC. Grease and line 2 rectangle pans.
2. Place large bowl over pot of simmering water making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water. Pour in milk. Add cream cheese, stir occasionally until completely dissolved and mixture turns smooth.
3. Stir in butter till dissolved.
4. Remove from heat and let mixture cool down. Add egg yolks and combine well. Make sure the mixture isn't too hot as to cook the egg yolks.
5. Combing plain flour and corn flour. Sift flours into cream cheese mixture, a little at a time. Mix well between each addition making sure there aren't any lumps.
6. Stir in freshly grated zest and set aside (I forgot to add this!!! So I think it made the cake taste a little eggy ><)
7. Place egg whites into a clean bowl and beat with electric beater for ~3 minutes. Add cream of tartar and continue to beat. Gradually pour in sugar and blend until very stiff peaks form (I think I may have not beaten enough and so I didn't quite get the height I was looking for).
8. Fold in egg whites into cream cheese mixture with spatula (a third at a time) until incorporated. DO NOT stir or beat.
9. Pour mixture into 2 baking pans. Place pans into larger baking tray. Add hot water in the tray up to half way. Bake for 50-60 minutes.
10. Turn off oven. Leave door ajar for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely on wire rack. Chill in fridge for at least 3 hours.
|Not too happy with the height...but LOVE the flavour =D|
So give it a go!! I think I'll want to try again too :)