|deliciously freshly fried HODDEOK :D|
Recipe adapted from Maangchi.
1 cup lukewarm water
2 tbs white sugar
2 tsp yeast (I used a 7g sachet)
1 tbs vegetable oil
2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
*note: this is supposed to make 8 pancakes about the size of a cd .. but i managed to make 12 =p*
1. Place water in a large bowl and add sugar, yeast and oil. Mix together to activate the yeast. *make sure the water isn't boiling otherwise you will kill the yeast!*
2. Add plain flour and mix with together to combine.
3. Place clingfilm over the bowl and allow to rise in a warm place for ~1 hour.
4. After dough has risen, mix again to remove gas bubbles from dough. Cover and let rise for another 10-20 minutes.
|dough risen and then kneaded~|
(I think savoury ones will be just as nice! Try ham and cheese, cheese and chives...:D)
6. Knead dough again to remove gas bubbles.
7. Dust cutting board and hands with plain flour.
8. Place dough on cutting board and knead. Make into a lump and cut into 8 equal-sized balls (or 12 ^^ however small/big you want them to be).
|such a light and soft dough ^^|
|Filling placed in dough and sealed|
11. Place 1 ball on the pan and let cook for 30 seconds. When bottom of dough ball is light golden brown, turn it oven and press dough with spatula to make a thin and round pancake.
|Frying dough balls~|
|flip over and flatten!!!|
|cover with lid and let it fry for another minute or so...|
13. Turn it over again, turn heat down to very low. Cover pan with lid and leave to cook for around 1 minute.
|mmm.. syrup melted in the center :)|
|my hoddeok vs. store bought ready made hoddeok|