For the sponge: (from http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/130363/victoria-sponge)
125g self-raising flour
125g butter, softened
125g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
2 tbs milk
- 1. Cream butter and sugar together with electric beater till pale and fluffy.
- 2. Add the eggs one and a time, beating between each addition. Sift in the flour and add milk and mix together.
- 3. Divide mix between 2 pre-lined 7 inch round cake tins and bake in pre-heated 180oC oven for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool in tin and turn them out onto a wire rack.
- Strawberry Buttercream
- 3 egg yolks90g caster sugar2 tbs water125g softened, unsalted butter90g strawberry jam
- 1. Beat egg yolks on high speed with electric mixer for 10 minutes until pale and creamy.
- 2. Place sugar and water in small saucepan and bring to boil. Simmer until syrup reaches 121oC. Slowly pour syrup into the creamed yolks while beating at medium speed. Beat on high for 10 minutes, until cool.
- 3. Add softened butter bit by bit while mixing on medium speed. Beat on high for 2 minutes. Add strawberry jam and beat for 2 minutes.
|2nd layer with iced topping!|