It's been a while since Jonah baked LIVE (our schedules haven't matched the past few weeks i.e. we have had different days off), but thank God we had the chance last night :D
I had previously baked these mochi muffins the week before and I hadn't tasted anything like it before! It had crunchy outer edges and inside was soft and chewy (just like mochi, hence the name). A friend lent me some of her black sesame paste so I could try out the black sesame version. I loved how the recipe was super easy and just needed a bowl and a whisk (less washing yay!).
This recipe is from a baker that I follow on instagram (Follow her @buttermilkpantry) and she has a recipe on her IGTV. I'll also share the recipe so I have my own copy of it ^^ and you all can try it out as well!
Black Sesame Mochi Muffins
Recipe by Buttermilkpantry
30g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
60g brown sugar
40g white sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
30g black sesame paste
180g coconut milk (full fat)
1 tsp vanilla extract
172g glutinous rice flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
sesame seeds to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 180oC (fan-forced) and grease a 6-holed muffin pan.
2. Combine butter and sugars in large mixing bowl and whisk until combined.
3. Add egg and whisk until combined. Add black sesame paste and mix together. Add coconut milk and vanilla and mix well.
4. Add glutinous rice flour, baking powder and salt and whisk to combine until smooth batter.
5. Divide the batter into each hole of muffin pan. Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top.
6. Bake for 40 minutes or until the tops have cracked and they are nice and crunchy. Remove from muffin pan immediately to stop them from further cooking while in the tin.
They definitely taste the best fresh from the oven but if you leave them over a few days then it's best to heat them up in the microwave or oven again :) The flavours are also endless so be creative :)
Happy Baking!! Till the next episode...