Sunday, May 8, 2011

MACARON MADNESS!!

And so here is the LOOONNNGG awaited blog! very sorry about the delay! (just adds to the suspense :P)

This is the famous recipe I have been using for my macarons!! I guess business will be down since you guys will know how to make it =p Everyone thinks that macarons are hard... I don't think they are THAT difficult (come on.. if I can do it so can YOU!!!) but there are a few tips and tricks that i have discovered along the way that will help you NOT to fail! 

I can't say this recipe is FAIL PROOF because.. even mine have failed!!! but it's the best recipe I've tried SO FAR!! so here it is....*drum roll*...



CHOCOLATE MACARONS~

200g pure icing sugar
100g almond meal
3 egg whites
40g caster sugar
pinch of salt
40g cocoa powder


1. Sift icing sugar and almond meal 3 times (the original recipe does not state this but I do it just to be safe and to allow more air into the mixture) into a large bowl.

~the most tedious part but once you sift it the first time the next 2 times are easy ^^~

2. Add a pinch of salt to the egg whites in a nice clean and dry bowl. Using an electric beater, whisk egg whites till they just hold a stiff peak. Then gradually add the caster sugar while whisking. IMPORTANT: do not overbeat egg whites forming a meringue mixture.. and do not under beat otherwise the mix will be too wet.

3. Carefully fold in the almond mixture into the egg whites - (don't mix too hard because you want to retain as much air as possible). The mixture should be thick and glossy. Sift in cocoa and mix - (don't be tempted to add heaps of cocoa to make it more chocolately because this can ruin the texture of the macarons).


4. Pipe or spoon the mix onto pre-lined baking trays. Try to keep even sizes so you can match them up later. Tap the tray onto the bench once to release any air bubbles. Leave at room temperature for 30 min - 1 hour (IMPORTANT STEP!!!) till a shell forms - when you touch the macaron shell, it won't be sticky).


5. Bake in pre-heated oven at 170oC for 10 minutes on the middle shelf. Bake one tray at a time.

6. Sandwich a pair of macarons with chocolate ganache (150ml cream + 375g chocolate heated over a double boiler)


The best feeling is when you are crouching down looking into the oven and you see that your macaron has RISEN!! if it hasn't.. don't worry!!!! just try again =D =D


That's right! TRY AGAIN :D

Piping~~

THEY ARE RISING XD
FINAL PRODUCT!!! ENJOYYYYYYYY =D

6 comments:

  1. Hi! What a nice blog.

    I've always wanted to try a hand at macarons, but so far I haven't had the courage yet. They're almost like the new cupcakes aren't they? Quite popular now, including in Malaysia.

    Will keep browsing through your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks SumaiyyahAbidah!
    wow! good to know i have readers even in Malaysia!! Yes you should try!! I was really scared/nervous at first. My first batch was made with my friends and we carefully followed each step to the dot! and they worked! this recipe is much simpler!! please try!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe... oh I though you are Malaysian! Where are you then?

    I've been longing to have a food/baking blog of my own, but I don't have a good camera and besides I didn't have time when I was in college.

    Now I may have more time to bake, so I might actually start a blog... we'll see! Oh I hope I'll get enough courage to try making macarons... hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am Malaysian but I was born in Australia =p
    You don't need a good camera!!! mine is not good either! You should just start one :) share your recipes! - i love malaysian food!

    yes! i hope i can see photos of your macarons!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey tray, with the ganache...can i use whipping cream or need to be thick cream?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Y! hope u got my inbox message =) you need to use thick cream or pouring cream for the ganache, not whipping cream!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments/messages so feel free to drop a line :)