Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Orange chiffon cake - second attempt at chiffon cake~~

We just bought a new MIX MASTER :D :D its a Kenwood patissier mixer!! I LOVE IT! :D so since it was my sister's birthday coming up I decided to try it out =D
I've always wanted to make a Chiffon cake so tried out a Green Tea chiffon cake... HOWEVER.. it failed =____=" it sunk because I didn't invert it as soon as it came out the oven!! also I think it was too strong in the green tea flavour.. so I will not be sharing that recipe unfortunately... till I fine tune it =p

so what do you do when you fail??? You TRY AGAIN :D

so the next day I decided on a different recipe and so here it is..
ORANGE CHIFFON CAKE!

Ingredients

7 egg whites
2 1/4 cups (225 grams) sifted cake flour (i just used Self-raising flour)
1 1/2 cups (300 grams) castor sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (120 ml) vegetable oil
3/4 cup (180 ml) freshly squeezed orange juice (~2-3 oranges)
2 tablespoons orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

1. Separate the eggs and place whites in one bowl and yolks in another. Preheat oven to 170oC.

2. Beat egg whites till foamy. Add cream of tartar and beat till soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 3 tablespoons of sugar until stiff peaks form (to test - the egg whites shouldn't fall when you tip the bowl upside down XD)

3. In a separate bowl add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and mix.

4. Make a well in the centre and add yolks, oil, orange juice, orange zest and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth.

5. Using a spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the batter just until blended (don't mix too hard or else you will lose air and the cake will not rise as much!! - however you need to mix it through or else there will be swirls of egg white through the cake)

6. Pour mix in chiffon cake tin (i just saw that you do not need to grease the tin.. OOPS! i did that ><) and bake ~55-60 minutes.
IMPORTANT!!!!: when cake is cooked, immediately remove from oven and invert the pan and place on a bottle or flat surface so it is suspended over the counter. (i actually just inverted it onto the cake rack and it worked out ok ;p).
Let the cake cool completely before removing from pan - be patient ^___^

You may ice the cake if you like or even add some filling.. but I thought it was good just the way it was =D

Our new baby!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KAT
btw we got a new PRO CAMERA!! so hopefully my food pics will be of better quality =p

http://www.joyofbaking.com/OrangeChiffonCake.html

2 comments:

  1. Oh I do envy you! A Kenwood mixer AND a new camera! I really need to save up, boo-hoo...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah there are so many kitchen appliances that I would love to have!! but probably no room in my kitchen to store them XD

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments/messages so feel free to drop a line :)