Devil's Food cake
1 3.4 cup caster sugar
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
2/3 cup cocoa powder
3 tsp dry instant coffee
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp red food dye
1/2 cup warm water
Rich chocolate frosting
60g dark chocolate
60g unsalted butter
1. Grease 2 20cm round cake tins and line with baking paper (we only had one...)
2. Beat butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Fold in sifted flours, bicarb soda and cocoa powder with combined coffee, colouring, water and milk.
4. Pour mixture into prepared tins. Bake at 180oC for around 45 minutes (make sure you don't overcook it because it can go dry....)
5. Allow cake to cool and sandwich cakes with cream (or maybe jam?)
6. Make chocolate frosting by combining chocolate and butter in heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir until smooth and ice cooled cake.
|Had leftover cake mix so made Devil's food CUPCAKES! :D personally iced and decorated!|
Recipe adapted from http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/Devils-Food-Cake-L2100.html