- 50g unsalted butter
- 12 slices white bread (or any bread in fact! i think raisin bread would work really well!)
- 50g sultanas (or CHOCOLATE - which is what we used because we forgot to buy sultanas)
- 4 eggs plus 4 egg yolks
- 175g caster sugar
- 300ml thin cream
- 300ml thickened cream
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 tbs apricot jam (or marmalade)
2. Sprinkle sultanas/chocolate (or BOTH!) between layers - be careful as sultanas and chocolate may burn if they are on the top layer. Layer crusts in a criss-cross pattern over the top (don't waste crusts!! hehe)
3. Whisk eggs, egg yolks and caster sugar together. Place both creams in a saucepan with vanilla essence and heat just before boiling (gentle heating). Pour cream over egg mixture and whisk lightly to combine.
4. Carefully pour over bread slices and set aside for 30 minutes - we didn't do this but the recipe says this will ensure a lighter pudding.
5. Place baking dish in roasting pan and pour enough boiling water into pan to come up halfway up the sides of baking dish.
6. Cover dish loosely with foil, bake in 180oC preheated oven for 15 minutes or until golden.
7. Heat apricot jam in microwave for ~30 seconds or in a small saucepan over low heat for 1-2 minutes till spreadable. Remove pudding from oven and brush over jam.
Slice and EAT! :D best served warm with a scoop of vanilla icecream!!
Recipe adapted from http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/5131/bread+butter+pudding