Thursday, September 15, 2011

Green tea Chiffon cake

After my failed green tea chiffon cake and my semi-sucessful orange chiffon cake, I really wanted to try again!! After the first two tries I had learnt some valuable lessons (from my mistakes). 1) The more eggs in the recipe, the more volume it will give the cake. 2) Remember to quickly invert the pan when taken out of the oven so the cake won't sink.
I'm not sure about you guys... but when I fail a recipe.. i get annoyed =___=" and then I need to bake something else that does work XD hahha.. but yeh!! Another thing is that it just makes me want to succeed the next time!! AND THIS TIME I DID! MUahhaha >:D so happy =) So I hope if you guys had failed before... try this recipe!!! quite fail proof i reckon =p

I got this recipe from Kirbie's Cravings!!

Ingredients
(A)
1 3/4 cup cake flour - I used plain flour and it worked out fine
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tbsp matcha powder (green tea powder) - i think next time I will add more because I couldn't really taste that much..

(B)
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
6 egg yolks
3/4 cup milk

(C)
6 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 cup sugar

1. Preheat oven to 175oC.
2. Combine (A) ingredients in a bowl and stir well to blend.
3. Add (B) and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
3. In a separate bowl, Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until moist peaks
formed. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff and shiny peaks are formed.
5. Fold 1/2 of the egg whites into the egg yolks mixture using a spatula. Stir and fold until no egg white streaks remain. Fold in remainder of egg whites.
6. Pour batter into ungreased 10" tube pan.
4. Bake for about 50- 55 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Invert cake pan and let cake cool completely in pan upside down. (I inverted my cake onto a bottle so the neck of the bottle was in the pan hole ^^) When cool, loosen the edges of pan cake to remove cake.


FAIL Green tea chiffon cake!! it sunk =(
Semi-successful orange chiffon cake.. just think it wasn't "chiffony" enough and too cakey xD recipe here
THIRD TIME SUCCESS (coz there is no such thing as luck =p)
On a side note... I got this for an early birthday present from my dad!!!

Our old one broke.. well had it for prob over 10 years.. SO YAY!! Guess I will be doing more baking =) =)

5 comments:

  1. Wow lucky you! I use a hand mixer too, we used to have a Kenwoood Ched but it went kaboom so I make do with the hand mixer. I've never made chiffon cake before, but I guess I'll have a go at it one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    The cake looks AMAZING.. seriously to die for. Have to try it :) I was wondering if I could substitute the cream of tartar or maybe just leave it out? You think it'll still work? Anywayss, awesome pictorial can't wait to make it :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mellie! thank you :) it took a few tries to get it right... but got there in the end :) I think the cream of tartar is added to help stabilise the egg whites (im just guessing)... so maybe you can substitute with salt.. but Im really not sure ><" Hope it turns out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello.
    your cake looks really light, the texture is fine and delicate. yum.

    about the tartar thing, i saw people in baking forums saying that you can subsitute it with a few drops of lemon juice or vinegar(the acidity reacts with the protein that helps establish the foam structure), which is what i use when beating egg white. it works fine.

    keep on the happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment and advice =)

      Delete

I love receiving comments/messages so feel free to drop a line :)