You guys are probably thinking... what is DK bread? is that a brand? a type of bread? ahhaa.. well i guess you could say both?? actually DK is a friend who is famous for his bread!! I've never actually tried it but seen photos ^^ and it looks yummy so asked for the recipe... but in the end I chose a different recipe (still similar).. and YAY!! it worked =D I also wanted to make a Pappa Roti style bread. So together... I chose:
CONCHAS - mexican sweet topped buns
For the bread-
- 7g dried yeast (1 sachet)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup lukewarm milk
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup (~75 g) butter softened
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups plain flour
For the topping-
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup (~55g) butter
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground coffee granules
2. Stir in milk, sugar, butter, salt, egg and 2 cups of flour.
3. Beat until smooth.
4. Stir in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
5. Turn onto lightly floured bench.
6. Knead until smooth and elastic ~ 5 minutes
7. Place in a large greased bowl, then turn greased side up. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (~1 1/2 hours)
8. Meanwhile, make the topping by beating sugar and butter till light and fluffy.
9. Stir in flour until mixture is of a thick paste consistency. Divide into 2 parts and stir cinnamon into one part and coffee into the other - BE CREATIVE! It's really up to you what flavoured toppings you would like =) you could have vanilla, orange zest, lemon zest, cocoa powder - the list is ENDLESS ~~
10. Divide dough into 12 equal round balls and place on lined baking tray. Place topping onto the surface and shape it over the ball. Make 5 - 6 cuts across the topping to form a criss-cross/shell pattern.
11. Cover and let rise until double ~40 minutes (I forgot to do this.... but it still turned out fine =])
12. Bake at 190oC for ~20 minutes or until buns are nice and golden brown.
|ta da~~~ look so yummy!!!! i took them out of the oven just in time! haha|
|inside tasted like bread :)|
|DK's version! they look much tastier! i need more practice XD|
|Pappa roti bun!!! if only i could make this~~...|
Recipe modified from http://www.food.com/recipe/conchas-mexican-sweet-topped-buns-119586