Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Cooking KOREAN sweets: Hoddeok 호떡

One day I received a little sweet treat from a church sister because she knew I liked Korean food, especially sweets! (thank u ^^).. I had no idea what it was and the best way I can describe it is a flattened sweet red bean bun minus the red bean floury taste. Later on she told me it was 호떡 "Hoddeok"~ a filled Korean pancake that is a popular street food in Korea (wikipedia =p).
deliciously freshly fried HODDEOK :D
This sister also shared with me a Korean blog that she follows and I found the recipe for HODDEOK! it looked very simple and even came with a youtube video showing you how to make it. So I gave it a go .. and happy to say.. THEY WERE DELICIOUS! so I must share with all of you!!

HODDEOK~
Recipe adapted from Maangchi.

Ingredients
1 cup lukewarm water
2 tbs white sugar
2 tsp yeast (I used a 7g sachet)
1 tbs vegetable oil
2 cups plain flour

Filling
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

*note: this is supposed to make 8 pancakes about the size of a cd .. but i managed to make 12 =p*

1. Place water in a large bowl and add sugar, yeast and oil. Mix together to activate the yeast. *make sure the water isn't boiling otherwise you will kill the yeast!*
2. Add plain flour and mix with together to combine.
3. Place clingfilm over the bowl and allow to rise in a warm place for ~1 hour.
4. After dough has risen, mix again to remove gas bubbles from dough. Cover and let rise for another 10-20 minutes.
dough risen and then kneaded~
5. Make filling by mixing brown sugar and cinnamon in small bowl.

(I think savoury ones will be just as nice! Try ham and cheese, cheese and chives...:D)

6. Knead dough again to remove gas bubbles. 
7. Dust cutting board and hands with plain flour.
8. Place dough on cutting board and knead. Make into a lump and cut into 8 equal-sized balls (or 12 ^^ however small/big you want them to be).
such a light and soft dough ^^
9. Take 1 dough ball, flatten it, place filling in center of dough and seal to make a ball.
Filling placed in dough and sealed
10. Heat up non-stick pan over medium heat, add a teaspoon of vegetable oil.
11. Place 1 ball on the pan and let cook for 30 seconds. When bottom of dough ball is light golden brown, turn it oven and press dough with spatula to make a thin and round pancake.
Frying dough balls~
flip over and flatten!!!
cover with lid and let it fry for another minute or so...
12. Let cook for about 1 minute until the bottom is golden brown.
13. Turn it over again, turn heat down to very low. Cover pan with lid and leave to cook for around 1 minute.
mmm.. syrup melted in the center :)
LOVELY when served HOT! the brown sugar becomes and syrup and its a delicious sweet filling ^_^ 맛있어요 ("mas-iss-o-yo")
my hoddeok vs. store bought ready made hoddeok

6 comments:

  1. Ooh... this looks really good. I will try the recipe this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks :) let me know how it goes!! ^^ I also made some more last week and tried fetta and chicken loaf filling~

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious! Thanks for sharing this recipe! I didn't know it was so easy! I was imagining crazy exotic ingredients! haha.. Looks GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it worked!!!!! yay!!!!
    my first dessert making! thanks Tray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I heard from Esta ^___^ ur welcome :) glad u like them! I want to try one day ;p

      Delete
  5. Yeah! I didn't know it was so easy too ^^ hope u give it a go :)

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments/messages so feel free to drop a line :)