Sunday, November 27, 2011

What's red and velvety?

I just made it in time for my entry for "Aspiring Bakers #13!!!* hosted by Min of Min's blogThe theme for November is "Enjoy cupcakes" so I decided to bake RED VELVET CUPCAKES!! This is the first time I have made them and they didn't turn out as "red" as I would have liked them.... but hopefully they are still "velvety" ^_^"

I also finally made cream cheese frosting (i remember I had a craving for it a while ago..) but as I don't own a piping bag the frosting looks a bit weird =S I got this recipe from The Cake Mistress' blog who adapted the recipe from the Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook.


Ingredients

60g unsalted butter, room temperature
150g caster sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
10g cocoa powder
20 ml red food colouring (I used 20ml water with red colouring powder added)
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
120ml buttermilk (I replaced this with normal milk)
150g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp bicarb soda\
1 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar (I used normal white vinegar)

Cream Cheese Frosting

300g icing sugar
50g unsalted butter, room temperature
125g cream cheese, slightly softened

1. Preheat oven to 170oC. Line 12-hold cupcake tin with patty cases.
2. Beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add egg and beat until well combined.
3. In a small bowl, mix food colouring, cocoa powder and vanilla extract until thick paste consistency.
4. Add paste to the butter mixture and beat thoroughly until colour is mixed evenly through the batter. The mix should be a deep rose pink/red.
5. Slowly add half the buttermilk until well mixed then add half the flour until well mixed. Repeat for the remaining milk and flour, beating until the mixture is smooth.
6. Add salt, bicarb soda and vinegar and beat for a couple more minutes.
7. Spoon into each cupcake hole about 2/3 full.
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until skewer inserted comes out clean.
9. Remove cupcakes from tin and allow to cool completely on wire rack. Meanwhile prepare cream cheese frosting.
10. In a food processor or electric mixer, beat the icing sugar and butter until well mixed.
11. Dice the cream cheese into smaller cubes and add to the mix, beating until completely combined. Continue beating until frosting becomes light and fluffy (~5 minutes)
12. When cupcakes are cooled, pipe the cream cheese frosting on top.

cupcakes for u :)
Happy with this photo =) for my future cookbook XD hahaha

4 comments:

  1. Yay! My dad loves RVC, though I haven't tried them in cupcake form. They're quite lovely aren't they? I think your frosting looks fine, but what does it matter if they taste great? hehe. Love that you've been posting regularly... I've been tardy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sumaiyyah! I think your red velvet cake looks A LOT better! i was going to tell you that i baked this :) thanks to your post! i used a different recipe though..
    keep up the posting - i know i can get lazy sometimes too T_T haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe thanks. Well looking at the ingredients i think they're more or less the same anyway. I was going to ask did the colour come out ok? you used liquid food colouring right? I've heard that oil colours or something are better for colouring...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colour wasn't as red as your cake. I think it was because I was using this red powdered colouring. It would have been stronger using a liquid form or even beetroot as others have told me.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments/messages so feel free to drop a line :)