So for catering this week I decided to bake a classic carrot cake with a twist. Surprisingly I have not made carrot cake before! (GASP! I KNOW!) It's such a classic and I love the cream cheese frosting (MY FAVOURITE FROSTING!) so I discovered this recipe that combined carrot cake with cheesecake - a twist on the original cream cheese frosting. The base is carrot cake, while the topping is baked cheesecake. This slice is best served chilled so try and be patient and chill in fridge before eating ^^ if you can...
|ok i know.. uneven layers >_>|
Recipe adapted from The Sweets Life
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp vanilla essence
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup shredded coconut
1 1/2 cups grated carrot (about 2 large carrots)
1 large egg
1/2 cup vegetable oil
500g cream cheese, softened
1 can (395g) sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup sour cream
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
2 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to 180oC and line rectangular baking pan (20x30cm) with baking paper.
2. Beat all carrot cake ingredients in a large bowl with an electric mixture until a thick dough forms (a stand mixer is great for this). Press dough into prepared pan, spreading an even layer. Set aside while you prepare filling.
3. In a separate bowl, beat cream cheese with electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in condensed milk until smooth. Make sure to scrape down sides of bowl. Add sour cream, salt, vanilla and eggs. Mix until combined.
4. Pour cheesecake mixture over the carrot cake base, spreading evenly. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until just set. The centre should have a slight wobble.
5. Allow to cool completely before covering and refrigerating until bars are set, for 2-3 hours or best overnight. Cut into squares and serve chilled.
Next up are these cute little choc cheesecake cups! The smaller the dessert.. the more you can eat right? XD These are just the right size and no bake! You could make them in larger cups or even a cake tin, just double the recipe.Chocolate Cheesecake cups
Recipe adapted from DK learns to cook
250g Nice biscuits
100g butter, melted
4 tbs cocoa powder
250g cream cheese, softened at room temperature
1/4 cup icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
150g dark chocolate
150g thickened cream
1/4 cup milo
1. Process/Crush biscuits with cocoa powder until fine. Add melted butter and mix well. Press 1/2 tsp into base of small cups.
2. Beat thickened cream until soft peaks form and refrigerate. Melt chocolate in microwave and allow to cool.
3. Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add in icing sugar and vanilla and beat until combined.
4. Mix melted chocolate into cream cheese mixture until combined.
5. Mix 1/3 of cream into mixture. Add remaining cream and fold until no white streaks remain.
6. Carefully spoon cream cheese mixture into cups. Dust with milo and refrigerate for at least 8 hours before serving.
|Lots of mini cups! mmm|
|dont forget the spoons! hehe|
|Looks like chocolate mousse yeah?|